Thursday, September 25, 2008

Trish

My name is Trish. As a team member with the Group Study Exchange program, this is my first experience with Rotary. Since being accepted to this program, I have gotten connected with the Greater Clark County Rotary club. This club has graciously agreed to sponsor me for this program. It just so happens that they have a project in Davao city. I hope that I'll be able to visit the project while abroad.

Working with people with disabilities will be my life's work. Currently, I work for the Clark County Department of Community Services. The Developmental Disabilities program plans, funds, and manages local services for children from birth to three and for adults 21 and over who have developmental disabilities. This program works cooperatively with national, state, and local interests to help ensure that all people with developmental disabilities have an opportunity for full and active participation, independence, and inclusion in the community.

The Clark County Developmental Disabilities Program actively works with education, the business community, local, state, and federal government, the Clark County Parent Coalition,
and other advocacy groups.

One thing that I have learned through my work is never to doubt that capacity of human beings to learn and grow. This includes people with disabilities and the other people around them.

In my spare time, I enjoy spending time with family and friends, hiking, bicycling, swimming, triathlons, and photography. Here are a few pictures that I have taken.


Here's me competing in a triathlon this summer in Bend, Oregon.